India is amazing. The smells, sounds, colors are all overwhelming (in many different ways). We have been traveling around Delhi by metro (train), auto rickshaw (three wheeled motorcycle), car, bicycle rickshaw and foot seeing as much of the city as we can before Michael has to start work and we are shifted to a different city. We have seen most of the major sites of Delhi. There are so many things to describe and since I am a little behind in what we have been doing I will just do a quick survey of our time here.
TRANSPORTATION: Extreme India: The US has the X games to highlight its extreme athletes. Transitioning from one place to another is an extreme event in India. The road's are shared by bicycles, passenger and cargo auto/bicycle rickshaws, mopeds, motorcycles, cars trucks, buses, and animals (cows, dogs, goats). Being able to cross the street or maneuver through traffic successfully is a feat that parallels a double back flip on a motorcycle. About 25 people a day die from vehicle vs pedestrian accidents in India. Delhi had over 1000 deaths last year. The lines that separate the lanes of traffic mean nothing. The only right of way on the roads belongs to the cows. Killing a holy cow in India brings a life sentence of damnation. The next right of way belongs to the loudest horn or largest vehicle in your way.
We took one bicycle rickshaw ride that made us realize that the two of us together are to heavy for the guy pedaling the bicycle. He was struggling from the start to the sweat soaked finish. We felt so bad that we got off the rickshaw only halfway to where we needed to be. Mike gave him a bill that was probably more than he made all day together. We realized that we can walk 3 km instead of riding.
SOUNDS: One of the first things we noticed after getting out of the airport is the noise. After coming from North Scottsdale and Mesa, AZ, it seems like we have been living in a vacuum. There is noise from cars, people selling things, kids playing, but mostly the horns. Here horns blow incessantly, often just to declare "here I am, don't hit me, but I might hit you." Once, twice even ten times in a row. One might want to blow it in the sound of his/her favorite song or just continuously. Our flat is facing the main street so we are put to sleep and woken up to the sound of horns. Sometimes we get a little annoyed and want it all to just stop but that would be like asking people from Wisconsin to stop eating cheese or people from Mexico to stop using salsa. It is just a way of life that we just have to get deal with.
SIGHTS: We have been doing a lot of sight-seeing. We spent a day and did a tour, so we could get around to a bunch of places. Some highlights of the tour
Hindi temple. Since we are both coming from Catholic backgrounds this is really different. There is no main "stage" that people come to worship around but different alters with different gods. Lots of great colors there.
The Bahai House of worship, or the Lotus Temple. It is in the shape of a lotus flower. The temple is a place of worship where all religions are welcome to worship.
Humayun's Tomb: An amazing Mughal tomb that appears to be more of a place of living then a place of rest. The intricate design work is incredible.
Jama Masjid: The largest mosque in India. Thousands can pray here at one time. While waiting for a friend, I sat down on the ground. Mike was talking to Sidd on the other side of mosque. All of the sudden kids were swarming around me asking me what my hobbies were and where I was from. Little girls would run over and shake my hand and then run away. The little boys where more bold and stayed and sat next to me. At one point their were about 25 kids around me. I cannot wait until I can speak some Hindi so that I can converse with more people.
SHOPPING: The bazaars are intense and fulfilling for every shopper. You can find anything that your heart desires for a very reasonable price. The colors of the textiles are incredible. It is amazing that people wear black and white since there are so many colors here. We, Americans, are missing out on the color scheme. Yesterday, I bought some material with a friend and I am going to have some pants and a kurta (tunic) made today. Michael also got a traditional outfit yesterday. Kind of like pajama pants with a long tunic to his knees. Of course, he looks good in it.
SPICES: Spices that make your tongue dance and tingle on so many levels. We have a helper, Ravi, cook for us and he uses so many spices that we do not even have in the US. He keeps adding more spice so that we get used to it slowly. Since I have not been eating meat, Mike is now a vegetarian by association. We have dal, a lentil soup; rice or chappati, wheat flat bread cooked on a flat hot plate, and vegetables at every meal. And these are not your regular vegetables, they are cooked in the most amazing curry sauce. Scrumptious. Most food is eaten with your hands. We decided to jump right in and eat with our hands as well. I think it is more fun and food tastes better as well this way. After dinner our hands and Mike's beard are colored yellow with turmeric. Luckily, lemons take the color right off. Ravi has gotten in the habit to give Michael a lemon at the end of the meal for his beard:)
That is a brief overview of our life here so far. It has definitely been an adventure.
4 comments:
Nice photos!
Still below freezing here in Michigan as I am coming back in from a frosty jog!
Looking forward to more text and photos
Sensory overload. It sounds so invigorating! Here's to living life.
I had no idea that lemon takes out the yellow from tumeric. I got some on the counter a week ago and was scrubbing it like mad to no avail. My feeble attempts at crock-pot veggie curry pale in comparison to all the good stuff you're eating and smelling right now! This made me laugh = honk honk honk - don't run into me, but I might run into you! I miss you guys! Love, Krissy
P.S. You never told me that you had the biggest finger in the entire world!
Post a Comment